The Role Of A Carer Within A Nursing Home
As a carer, you will have plenty of experience providing care but not necessarily in a nursing home environment. No two homes are the same, and that is one of the great benefits as you’ll never be bored! If you’re curious about what working in a nursing home is like, we’ve put a handy overview of what would be expected of you as a HCA in a nursing home.
In a nursing home, you are likely to be under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. As you know, your role is to support the well-being of the residents by delivering the highest possible standards of care in a professional manner. Some of the responsibilities and duties are listed below:
- To provide all personal care and attention for each resident and to follow the activities of daily living in accordance with the planned care.
- To assist Qualified Nurses in the performance of their duties as requested.
- To encourage and assist residents to participate in leisure pursuits and ensure their social and emotional needs are met.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times.
- To report any changes in residents’ physical or mental condition to the Named Nurse or his/her deputy and maintain accurate records on all forms and systems as required.
- To abide by the Home’s security precautions at all times.
- To comply with the Home’s policies and procedures.
- To report promptly all complaints, however minor.
- To undertake cleaning duties as required, replenish stocks of disposable items and exercise cost control at all times.
- To ensure residents clothing and toiletries are adequate and named and ensure deficiencies.
- To take care to protect residents’ personal belongings.
- To participate in assessment and evaluation of residents’ care.
- To be courteous and polite at all times.
- To answer outside telephone calls politely and relay messages efficiently.
- To undertake other duties as may be reasonably requested, in order to maintain the smooth running of the Home.
We hope this list proves helpful for any carer curious about working in a nursing home